For the average Mac user, the Terminal is something that’s either too complicated to use or completely unknown. If you don’t know what it is, it’s the place where you can have your Mac execute custom commands, many of which you can’t do through other means. It’s a great tool, and unlike many believe, if you know what you’re doing, it’s relatively easy to use, especially if you already know what commands to put in there.
1. Open your Applications folder.
2. Open the Utilities Folder.
3. Open Terminal.
Now for the ten cool commands you can use with it:
1. Watch Star Wars Episode IV – the full movie, right in your terminal!
2. Let Terminal talk to you
3. Limit your Safari web history to a certain number of pages
4. Put a gradient behind a stack icon:
5. Turn the menubar white (restart required)
6. Add spaces to your dock (you can cam separate applications)
7. Add widgets to your desktop
8. Show Hidden Files In Finder
9. Install Software Updates
10. Screen Capture
Before you go
After spending over 20 years working with Macs, both old and new, theres a tool I think would be useful to every Mac owner who is experiencing performance issues.
CleanMyMac is highest rated all-round cleaning app for the Mac, it can quickly diagnose and solve a whole plethora of common (but sometimes tedious to fix) issues at the click of a button. It also just happens to resolve many of the issues covered in the speed up section of this site, so Download CleanMyMac to get your Mac back up to speed today.